The classical theory of cells primarily deals with molecular biochemistry and the biochemical processes that occur in the cellular world. However, no or very little thought has been given to the fact that all electrochemical processes require presence of electrical energy / alternating electromagnetic (EM) wave energy which cell of its own cannot generate them. The very fact that the cellular processes stop instantaneously upon termination of life in every living being, does show that there is something more than just biochemistry which drives the machine of the physical body of all living beings including the human beings. The answer to this query i.e. what is that which drives the biochemical unit of living being, is given in the ancient Vedic medical science. The views of the Vedic medical science are also corroborated by the modern research in biophysics.
The Views of Ancient Vedic Medical Sciences on the Energy Based Nature of Reality
Everything in our universe is made of energy. It has been said that we humans are able to perceive only approximately 1% of all the energies that exist. We are able to perceive, through our five physical senses, a limited range of smells, sounds, sights, sensations, and tastes. All of these are perceived via energetic vibrations interacting with our physical sense organs, and thus relaying messages to the brain that we can relate to and understand, based on our understanding of the world in which we live. Thus, our reality is strictly based on our ability to perceive. Unluckily, we are able to perceive only about 1% of what really exists. It is however possible to significantly widen the range of our sensory perceptions through practice of Pranayama Yoga.
Why Cannot You Perceive The Spirit Realm of the Universe?
The reason that we, the normal human beings, are unable to perceive the spirit or energy of all that around us is because of the following reasons.
• Our current cultural paradigm is that something is only real if we can perceive it physically. Of course, we know that this is not true, but we have not allowed science to catch up to good sense and intuition. This needs to change totally. It is a very well known fact that we, as human beings, have emotions, conscious mind, intellect etc and any disturbance in them does influence the state of health and yet we, in modern times, do not know where exactly all of them reside.
• It has been estimated by psychologists that on any given day, 99% of our thoughts are exactly the same as the day before. That means that we are stuck in reliving every day a life that seems not to change and hence monotonous. It is therefore no wonder that we are plagued by depression, fatigue, and addictions. Most of these thoughts center or move around worries, fears, doubts and apprehensions. Most of the times, we know that they are baseless and irrelevant but still keep on brooding over them. It is important to understand why are we not bombarded by happy positive miraculous thoughts that can boost our physical health?
• The Vedic medical science states that our mind, consciousness, intellect, in reality exist in physical form and since they are in frequency ranges that are not perceptible to the normal human sensory organs, they are called the etheric bodies. I have come across a very strange case where a heart operated patient, in stage of coma as per the present day definition, recalled that he had the awareness of being alive and was wondering why people around him were discussing about the last rites to be performed on his body. The patient himself, a retired doctor doing honorary service in some charitable institutions had most of the heart arteries blocked but never had any physical symptoms till the day when he felt some discomfort in breathing while climbing the stairs of his flat. He was successfully operated but after one day of his bypass surgery, developed septicemia and then went into coma. After about 10 days in that condition, he gained consciousness despite everybody giving up the hope of his coming back to life. This is the case where the mind and consciousness had overpowered the physical symptoms. The doctor is now back to his honorary services to charitable hospitals
• We live in a sea of energy and we ourselves are made of subtle etheric energy. We aren’t a body that has a soul. We are in fact a soul, the densest portion of which is our physical body. Even our body is vibration. Each organ is made of cells, and each cell is made of molecules, which are made of atoms, which are made of protons, neutron, electrons, and other electromagnetic particles spinning in orbit. When we are healthy, we are in a harmonious vibration and the whole organism functions properly. Most of us are not aware of this fact.
• Because we humans have free will, the ability to choose our thoughts, words, and actions, we can use the etheric energy positively or negatively. Each of us is given the ability to create in the sea of energy in which we live, and how we do that determines not only our own life, but the state of humanity and the environment in which we live. We are born with energy, and we die with energy. Everything else in life is impermanent.
ElectroMagnetic Properties of a Cell
Modern cell research shows the living cells possess some astonishing electrical and magnetic properties such as ability for intercellular communications, membrane potentials, piezoelectricity, ferromagnetism, semi conducting etc. The research also shows that various molecules involved in the cellular processes behave as electrical dipoles.
Most of the molecules in the body are electrical dipoles (Beal, 1996). These dipoles electronically function like transducers in that they are able to turn acoustic waves into electrical waves and electrical waves into acoustic waves (Beal, 1996). The natural properties of bio molecular structures enables cell components and whole cells to oscillate and interact resonantly with other cells (Smith and Best, 1989). According to Smith and Best, the cells of the body and cellular components possess the ability to function as electrical resonators (Smith and Best, 1989).
The cells by themselves cannot oscillate. They require some energy for that purpose. The modern medical science has no clues regarding sources of energy that set the cellular assembly in a state of oscillation. The Vedic medical science does explain this.
The aim of this blog is not to glorify the ancient Vedic medical science but to bring out the concepts which modern science is now beginning to develop. It is not clear as whether or not what we presently know about the Vedic medical science is totally what existed several thousand years ago. There are some strong reasons to believe that what we know presently about the Vedic medical science is just the tip of the iceberg. History shows that several highly developed civilizations perished leaving very limited or even no information about the level of scientific and technological knowledge that existed during the tenure of these civilizations.
The research in modern biophysics does corroborate the views of Vedic medical science regarding sources of energy that enable cells and their assemblage to oscillate (vibrate). Thus, before we discuss about Pranayama yoga, it is worthwhile describing the conclusions of the modern research in biophysics. Sadly, for reasons best known to them, majority of the practitioners of modern medical science do not accept these conclusions or views of the ancient Vedic medical science.
Views Of Modern Biophysics
Over a period of one and half decade, extensive research has been carried out in molecular biophysics. It is not possible to cover it in this blog. I, nevertheless, mention some of them which are relevant to us in this blog.
The findings of the research in modern biophysics are summarized as below:
- Everything that exists contains molecules which vibrate. These molecules comprise of atoms which, in turn, comprise of protons, neutrons, electrons and various elementary particles. All of these are in a state of continuous dynamic (vibration) motion. The assemblage of such molecules also vibrates and has its own natural rhythm (natural frequency). When it vibrates at its natural rhythm, it has highest energy level (vital energy). This is one of the most fundamental and well known facts in the theory of vibrations.
- Current day quantum physics theory tells us that at the sub-atomic level, matter does not exist. There is only a pulsating energy because of photons and lots of empty space around them. These photons too have their own natural rhythm of vibrations.
- Our body is made of organs which is an assemblage of enormous number of cells (basic building blocks of the body).
- The most basic sub-molecular component of our cell is made up of energy particles/waves, called biophotons. The vibrational energy of biophotons is called “the vital energy/force “
- State of disease is associated with loss/degradation of vital force of the cell and vital force/energy of the assemblage of cells
- The vibrations of the biophotons result into some specific patterns of the electromagnetic vibrations of every living organism which is an assemblage of these photons. The organisms, therefore, have their own natural rhythm (natural frequency) of vibrations.
- The vibrations, when they occur at natural rhythm of the organism, provide the energy transport/switch boarding that is required for every cellular function, including DNA/RNA messengering. If this natural rhythm (resonance) is missed out, the cellular processes derail and diseases appear.
- The cell membranes scan and convert these vibration signals into electromagnetic events. In these events, the proteins which exist within the cell’s bi-layer change their shape which corresponds to vibrations of specific resonant frequencies. A typical behavior is shown in the figure above.
- Every biochemical reaction is preceded by an electromagnetic signal. Cells communicate both electromagnetically and chemically and create biochemical pathways that interconnect with all functions of the body. The modern medical science, unfortunately, considers only the chemical aspect.
The cosmic energy is associated with infinite number of electromagnetic waves of different frequencies which are superimposed on each other. This means that when cosmic energy is received by organ comprising millions of living cells, each of the cells can tap its natural Vibrational Energy from the wide band constituents of cosmic electromagnetic energy field. The theory of biophotons further states that:
A few Sayings of Theory of BioPhotons
- The definition of life is centered on DNA. At closer inspection, we find that DNA is made up of molecules, which in turn, are made up of sub-atomic particles. We thus end up back at the level of biophotons again.
- DNA, which is negatively charged molecule, is found to be nothing more than loose strands of deoxyribonucleic acid which is a cluster of molecules attached to proteins. They form the cell’s chromatin nucleus.
- The DNA having antenna or filament strand like configuration allows the cell molecules to receive and transmit the information of the frequency and amplitude of the electromagnetic waves encountered. The resulting vibration resonance induced reactions then enable formation of messenger RNA (MRNA). This is an extremely important process and equally complex to understand.
- Once MRNA is formed, it leaves the cell nucleus and attaches to structures as Ribosome. The Ribosomes, using raw material from the cell, produce proteins following the sequence as instructed by the MRNA.
- The above process, known as transcription, provides the means for the electromagnetic oscillations or the natural frequency oscillations.
All of the above mentioned points show that at absolute level, the body is nothing but a complex electromagnetic field. The biophysicists claim that our thoughts and emotions are also frequency patterns and have a direct relationship on the integrity of our energy field. A disruption in our consciousness can create an area of stagnation or incoherence in our bodies that can derail DNA transcription, suppress T-cell and NK-cell activity, and other immune system functions. All these lead to complex diseases. It has now been possible to photograph the energy field of living beings as well as human beings. One of the photographic techniques used for energy field imaging is called poly contrast interference photography (PIP).
The essence of the modern biophysics research is that the cellular vibrations at its natural frequency, provides the vital power to the cell to carry out various cellular processes and total freedom from diseases. The treatment of a disease should therefore be based on providing healing energy to the affected part rather than just giving drug therapy indiscriminately. Of course, molecular energy contained in a particular drug molecule can provide the required healing energy.
For example, the Paracetamol molecule does provide the energy to the center in the brain that controls the body temperature thereby reducing the level of fever. But it does not do it without bringing side effects which in certain cases could be very dangerous. Also the Paracetamol molecule cannot correct the root cause of the fever and hence it is only a symptomatic treatment.
All the previous discussion about the theory of biophotons is too complex for a common man to understand and digest. It is so because of complex relationship between the biophotons and the DNA/RNA. Vedic science puts the same concepts in a way which is much easy to understand.
Views of Vedic Medical Science on the Energy Aspect of the Universe
In fact what is described above is rediscovery of the facts known to ancient sages not only from India but world over. The Vedic medical science tells that
- The entire universe is manifestation of supreme cosmic energy field, the beginning and end of which is not understandable to common / ordinary human.
- The supreme cosmic energy field is termed as Chaitannya. The gross manifestation of the Chaitannya is the physical form (jad) which can be sensed by five senses of perception (sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch). The subtle manifestation of the Chaitannya is termed as Sukshma, not perceptible to normal senses of perceptions.
- The Sukshma (etheric) bodies are the seats of emotions, intellect, consciousness etc and these bodies interact with physical body to provide the perceptions such as happiness, sorrow, anger, bliss etc.
- Because of the above mentioned interactions, the physical body does get substantially influenced by what happens in the Sukshma (etheric bodies).
It is not surprising to note our inability to see the entire spectrum of electromagnetic waves in our universe. The figure shows a spectrum as known to the present day science
The Vedic medical science further says that
- Universe is not just the ordinary three dimensional place as it appears to our naked eyes. As shown in the above figure, it is filled with extremely wide band pulsating electromagnetic fields. Most of these fields are not perceptible to human sensory organs. Their frequencies range from ultra high to ultra low frequencies.
- Humans have energy bodies (etheric bodies) which surround their physical form and communicate with universal energy fields (Chaitannya). These energy bodies are coupled to various sections of human body through points called the Chakras through which cosmic energy enters human body. Diseases in the body occur when these chakras are either blocked or distorted.
- These chakras get charged only when life current/life force is established through breathing. The body will receive the universal life energy only when the chakras are charged.